As we Indians have perceptions about other countries, foreigners also have some major opinions about our country. Some are right while some are wrong, and some wrong ones make you wonder whether to laugh or cry.
Here are some funny things foreigners say about India that are not true.
1. India is a poor country.
India has been ranked among the 10 wealthiest countries globally with total individual wealth of $5,200 billion.
2. Indians can’t speak English.
India has the largest number of second-language speakers of English. Combining native and non native speakers, India has more people who understand English than any other country.
3. Every Indian food is spicy and with curry.
We have a special taste for dessert with almost 150+ sweet dishes, each for different occasion.
4. Every Indian place is damn hot.
You can visit Shimla, Manali, Coorg, Himachal Pradesh and many other places that are cold.
5. All Indian movies have only songs and dance.
We have more serious and inspirational movies that are not ‘masala movies with dance numbers’ and have been remade in hollywood.
6. Indians are all Science and Maths nerds.
Yes we excel there too, but we have specialized in art, literature, architecture and music in many creative ways.
7. Indians are unhygienic and filthy.
We know how to be clean without wasting excessive amount of water by bathing in a tub.
8. All Indians are vegetarians.
Indians love non-veg and party in India means all non-veg dishes.
9. India is a land of snake charmers.
Snake charming used to be a practice long back but it’s banned now.
10. You speak Hindu?
You speak Christian?
P.S – It’s Hindi language and Hindu religion.
11. India is the definition of brown.
Only Indians are not brown. In fact, we have various shades of people which adds to the beauty of India.
12. Cricket? It is a made-up version of baseball.
Baseball is, in fact, a made-up version of Cricket. Although originated in England, Cricket has more followers in India than in any other country.
13. I like Indian food. Chicken Tikki Masala.
It is Chicken Tikka and not Tikki.
14. Indians are uneducated and technologically behind.
India has more internet users than United States’ population. Plus most of those include Indians.
These were just some of the misconceptions about India that are popular but not true.